Saturday

Digital Textiles

My latest project is Digital Textiles, which will build upon my skills and experimental practices with the emphasis being to develop my ideas using digital media and creating samples using digital production. I have identified my theme of research and visual enquiry as Natural form, with an initial study of my collection of shells, which have been formed and shaped by the sea. From this title I have chosen my key words will be cones, coils and curves, which will initiate my drawing. From this platform I am going to explore a variety of digital processes to develop my ideas. These processes including design programmes Photoshop and Illustrator. As well as CAD embroidery, laser cut, digital knitting using Designaknit 7, digital weave using Fibreworks and digital printing. Along side these induction sessions I will also attend drawing classes to investigate the "natural form".

My initial research idea has been "what is a pattern?", which has been my focus in contextual studies, where I have begun to research artists and designers who push the concept of what a patten could be. I am planning to attend the Shirley Craven and Hull traders exhibition, in Kings Lyn, to explore the concept of pattern. I am also going to research the key development moments of digital textiles and how it is influencing fashion design, economically, and culturally. I will document my personal development planning digitally on my blog. During my third week I have arranged a work placement at Jonathan Saunders design studio, in London, where I hope to see how a design studio operates as well as the range of digital practice used day to day in the fashion industry. This week will form the of my professional development planning file.

Through out my project I will continuously refer back digital skills. This unit has given me the oppertunity to progress my skills and knowledge of weaving and apply them to digital design. Also I would like to take this oppertunity to learn the process of digital knitwear design. If I have time I hope to I hope to apply laser cut and CAD to these during the development stage. At a later date material manipulation will be introduced to my work as a central focus for development and I will go onto show my design work in a context using my skills and knowledge in photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exhibitions and Craft Fairs

  • 2013
  • December 6th- Lavenham Christmas Festival
  • November 9th- Lavenham Christmas Fair, Suffolk
  • November 8th- Cockfeild Christmas Shopping Event
  • NOW ON: November 19th-30th No.70 Pop up Shop, Lavenham
  • October 12th- Autumn Craft Fair, Hadleigh Town Hall, Suffolk
  • 2012
  • November 16th- Christmas Shopping Event, Suffolk
  • June 27th- 30th July- New Designers
  • June 26th- 3rd July 2012- Degree Show, Norwich
  • February 2012- Premier Vision, Paris